The Mountain Guard is a role-playing guild dedicated to both high standards and entertaining gameplay. Founded originally as the Coldridge Siegeworks Co., under the veteran leadership of Grungnir and Morvar, it soon grew into a fully fledged guild with over one-hundred members.
The example and public image that the guild has set for itself has earned a place of honor among the server of Moon Guard. The guild tag alone brings with it the respect and admiration associated with the past deeds of this guild.
Whether you are a new recruit, or a veteran member, it falls upon you to uphold these standards, and make sure that our reputation is maintained.
If you are looking to join the guild, you would do well in getting to know us a little better. Simply being a Dwarf does not automatically get you in. We strive to have ongoing relationships with every new recruit, and want to personally account for their merits (and flaws!) before accepting them into the guild.
Read our rules. Make sure you know what the guild represents. Be someone that we, as a guild, want to recruit into our ranks. Getting into the guild is a privilege, and it must be earned every day. Just because you have the guild tag over your head does not mean you should stop trying your hardest.
Earn the respect we are given, and be a part of something fun and rewarding.
12 April 2011 - Grungnir will sadly be on an extended hiatus from WoW (again!) and is closing the guild in almost all respects, this should be considered permanent. The current members and officers are welcome to and are encouraged to remain, so long as they maintain the standards expected of any Mountain Guard member. New recruits may be invited by officers only, and only for exceptional reasons; we are closed to recruitment for all intents and purposes. The original plan was to disband/close the guild - keeping our server reputation in-tact and "ending on a high note," but I understand that the guild experience and benefits are certainly something you can all appreciate for a long time. So for that, I am keeping it active. The following directives should be taken seriously, and knowing that I am doing this for the betterment of the guild and our reputation - I have had a bad experience in the past (hordeside) with allowing a guild to 'continue' after my departure for any length of time. I say the following because if the guild slowly decays due to poor leadership (or my absence) it will ruin all we've built over the past 1.5 years. We are closing on a high note. Please take my orders seriously, it is my guild after all!
1. Have fun! I am leaving with a heavy heart and a tear in my eye, this isn't a ragequit - I just have far more important things to do in real life, as you can all understand. My time has been cut short! You guys are the best guild around, and deserve the respect we get daily. I absolutely encourage the guild to remain as active as it is now, and for all of you to continue to RP and hold events, and things like that. Talk with Ruvok and Salrik and organize events if you want, just do it with honor, don't be douches. Don't form any alliances with other guilds, no one has the authority to do so but Grungnir and he's missing!
2. I do not want someone to petition a GM to get control of the guild. That will undo all I've said above. Even if you think I'm wrong, don't. If you do, you will single-handedly prolong an excruciating death and decline of the guild, and put the reputation of all of us in jeopardy. I may come back, maybe soon, maybe later, and I'll be mighty pissed if my guild was taken from me. Officers may fulfill the duties assigned to them as usual, of course, but if they leave as well, that's it!
3. I do not want a council of officers to form to breathe new life into the guild. Even if you think it will work out, and be ten-times better than it was when I was in it, don't. Make your own guild (and bring everyone with you), you have my blessing. The point is that The Mountain Guard will cease to be - and it will become something else, with "my" name. Create something new and fresh, or enjoy the 'closed' status of the current guild. There are no compromises!
4. Anyone is welcome to leave the guild, or reform a new guild with the same premise, you have my complete blessing, and I respect the initiative taken to do so. There are no hard feelings, this is just the way of things - go wherever you will have the most fun. You may also stay in the guild and milk the guild experience and stuff - anything in the bank tabs available to you is yours to take as it always has been - the closed tabs are mostly empty, and have a few personal officer items, nothing to worry about. The gold will remain in the bank and collect interest, not too much option there to handle its dispersion fairly. It will represent the Thane's mighty treasure hoard.
5. IC explaination: After having served the Mountain for over three centuries, Grungnir's regiment was bestowed a great honor. They were charged with the safeguarding of King Magni for an eternity. The petrified corpse of the former king will forever be watched by a cadre of elite dwarven soldiers - you are those soldiers. If you've had writer's block, this is a good reason to get back into the swing of it. Possibilities are endless. Our 'job' is to defend the king, like it was before he died (Ironforge raid defense), but you're welcome to venture out and kill horde preemptively as well. Maybe hold events involving the king's tomb. Memorial services, things like that.
Grungnir himself (the character) will have been elevated to some shitty administration job out of the field, and he probably hates it. Imagine him in his armor, and a gigantic hammer behind a tiny desk or something, very grumpy indeed. You'll rarely see him, but may very well evoke his name with new recruits, or a wayward dwarf on occasion - he is very much alive, and will return to battle when the need is most dire.
In closing, keep our reputation intact, that's the big thing. Don't let this turn the guild into a joke, maintain our image that we've all worked so hard to build! While <The Mountain Guard> tag is over your head, you act like one! I don't care if you're OOC or if you're the last goddamn member in the guild, you behave in a manner that fits the legendary status of the guild you belong to. You are legendary.
It's been great playing with all of you guys, kill more Orcs,
- Andrew (Grungnir)
1 March 2011 - Brandur has been elevated to an officer position, as the regiment's Quartermaster. His tasks include handling our guild bank, outfitting our soldiers, and managing the logistics of the guild (IC and OOC). This also includes the out-of-character duties an officer is entitled to.
1 January 2011 - Thane Orcbane has received orders from the Council of the Three Hammers to maintain a garrison within Ironforge, from which they are well placed to strike out against the enemies of the Mountain. After years of honorable service and duty, and their liege now dead, the fate of the Guard is uncertain at best.